Earn Electric Bill Credits With Demand Response Programs
Summer will be here soon, and along with it, increased temperatures. During the hot summer months, customers tend to increase their energy use by running the air conditioner more often.
To help customers manage their electric bills, especially during the summer, Southern California Edison has three Demand Response programs that provide incentives for taking part in one of the programs. Enrollment is free, although some will require proper equipment to participate. Customers can only be enrolled in one program at a time.
The programs reward customers for conserving energy during the summer months or when Demand Response program events are called. For instance, when overall energy use is high and the available supply of power is limited, a program event may be called. This happens most often during periods of high heat. In return for participation, customers earn credits on their bill.
Smart Energy Program: Earn up to $115 in incentives.
- Earn a one-time $75 sign-up credit and up to $40 in annual bill credits when maintaining enrollment from June 1 through Sept. 30.
- Requires a qualifying smart thermostat with a central air-conditioning system.
- SCE automatically adjusts your smart thermostat by up to four degrees during Smart Energy Program events to save energy.
- You may override events by readjusting the temperature on the thermostat.
- Requires a central air-conditioning system to qualify.
- SCE automatically cycles your air conditioner off and on during Summer Discount Plan events to conserve electricity in exchange for bill credits.
- Flexible program options allow you to choose your level of comfort, including the ability to override up to five times per year.
- You’ll earn monthly bill credits from June 1 through Sept. 30.
- Reduce electricity use during Power Saver Rewards program events between 4-9 p.m., May 1 through Oct. 31.
- Bill credits are awarded at the start of each year, following the previous year’s participation.
- No penalty for not participating in Power Saver Rewards program events; the more you save, the more you earn.