Benefits of a Smart Thermostat
From phones and watches to TVs and appliances, nearly everything has a “smart” version that allows it to connect to the internet and other devices. Smart technology provides a host of benefits while saving you time and money.
In the case of smart thermostats, the benefits are far-reaching and can even put money back in your pocket. Here are a few of the benefits of smart thermostats, along with information on finding the right one for your home.
- They help save you money by using energy more efficiently: When you plan your A/C usage around your lifestyle, you use energy when you need it. This can significantly reduce your monthly energy bill and your carbon footprint.
- They help you conserve energy while reducing stress on the grid: Smart thermostats allow you to program your home's temperature to fit your schedule easily. You can even set them to pre-cool your home on your commute back from work, avoiding the increase in energy costs that kick in during peak usage hours from 4-9 p.m.
- They allow you to take advantage of technology rebates: If you have an older model mercury thermostat, it is illegal to throw it away with your regular trash. With fines up to $70,000 for each mercury thermostat not recycled, it's best to recycle yours at a local collection site. You'll even be eligible for a $30 rebate for each mercury thermostat removed from your residence.
- They can help you earn bill credits by enrolling in Demand Response programs: By enrolling your smart thermostat in SCE's Smart Energy Program, you can earn a $75 sign-up bonus and up to $40 in bill credits from June through September. The program allows your thermostat to be adjusted up to 4 degrees during a qualifying energy event, reducing stress on the grid during a peak demand period.
- They're easy to use: With intuitive, user-friendly layouts and modern touch screens, smart thermostats make it easy to program your settings and connect to other devices.
- They provide remote access to adjust your home's temperature from anywhere: Ever forgotten to adjust the A/C after you've left for the weekend? With a smart thermostat, you can adjust your home's temperature or even shut your system off entirely from the palm of your hand with a smartphone app.
- They keep your system running longer: Smart thermostats work in tandem with your A/C system and provide alerts on important maintenance issues, even notifying you when it's time to replace your air filters. Just like your car, conducting routine maintenance on your A/C system is crucial to keeping it running efficiently for as long as possible.
Now that you know the benefits of smart thermostats, you might want to start shopping around. The SCE Marketplace is the perfect place to start. It provides Enervee scores, which compare a device's energy efficiency to other available products, as well as product reviews and the ability to track price drops and new rebate options.